Some of the Symptoms of Gum Disease
Sometimes called periodontal disease, gum disease is an infection of the gum and bone tissues that help hold the teeth in their ideal positions. This condition is caused by poor oral hygiene, allowing plaque to accumulate and solidify. When it's not addressed, periodontal disease could result in severe issues for the gums and bone that keep the teeth secure. Gum disease is also one of the primary causes of missing teeth in people in Houston, TX. At Made Ya Smile Spring Cypress, TX, we perform nonsurgical and surgical treatment options for individuals experiencing any degree of periodontal disease.
Signs of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease may oftentimes be hard to notice, so it’s nearly impossible to know when you have it. Due to this, routine check-ups and professional cleanings are a vital step when it comes to detecting gum disease before it advances. Some usual signs of periodontal disease are:
- Foul-smelling breath
- Puffy, red, or tender gums
- Loose teeth
- Bleeding as you brush and floss
- Gumline recession
- Discharge between the gumline and teeth
- Changes in tooth and jaw alignment
For individuals who live in Houston, TX and suspect they may have gum disease, our highly trained staff will help you take care of it before it progresses to more significant phases.
Phases of periodontal disease
This condition occurs in three phases:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the beginning phase of periodontal disease, is caused by a buildup of tartar, impacting only the gum tissues. In this phase, the bone has not been damaged, so gum disease is still reversible.
- Periodontitis: In this stage, whatever problems to the gum tissues and bone that keep your teeth in place is not reversible. Pockets can also develop beneath the gums, which traps plaque and bad bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments along with proper oral health habits will help stop further damage.
- Advanced periodontitis: The final phase of periodontal disease occurs when the infection has resulted in harmful bacteria. This disorder requires laser treatments or periodontal surgery to clear out areas of bacteria beneath the gumline. In the event that advanced periodontitis is not treated, loose teeth, receding gums, and other serious problems will occur.
In short, addressing gum disease promptly is essential. At Made Ya Smile Spring Cypress, TX, we show our patients good oral hygiene habits to let them prevent the development of this damaging oral wellness problem.
Solutions for periodontal disease
The procedure picked for you will be decided by the degree of your condition. Addressing gum disease as soon as possible may minimize damage, as well as any need for a surgical solution. The aim of any periodontal treatment is to restore the health of your gums. A handful of the most typical periodontal procedures provided at our Houston, TX practice include:
- SRP (scaling and root planing) therapy: SRP is the least invasive procedure that eliminates bacteria near the gums and produces a smoother surface. Smoothing rough areas lets our knowledgeable team remove bacteria and produce a smooth surface for the gums to reattach easily.
- Gum lift surgery: To carry out this treatment, the gum tissues are separated from the teeth so tartar can be efficiently eliminated. The gums are then placed so the tissue sits comfortably around each tooth. This will reduce the open area between the gums and teeth, which deters bacteria from developing in the future.
- Bone and gum grafting: Gum and jawbone grafts incorporate a portion of the patient’s own bone or donated tissue to replace areas of the jaw that were affected by gum disease. This will make the teeth more secure. Soft tissue grafts are provided to reinforce thin gums, as well as to target areas where gum deterioration has taken place.
- Dental implants: When your teeth become loose, we offer many restorative dentistry options, like crowns and dental implants, to improve your smile.
Learn more about periodontal disease solutions in Houston, TX
If not addressed, gum disease may turn into more severe stages. At Made Ya Smile Spring Cypress, TX, we work with our patients to help them bolster their dental health. For more gum disease solutions, or to set up an exam at our dental care facility, contact our team.